January 2023 Notes
- I’ve been out on a 6-month medical hiatus, but I am now regaining strength and am currently able to offer one half-day One-on-One Workshop experience per week. If you’d benefit from a few hours of individual hands-on photographic instruction to help take your photography to the next level, please see below and reach out.
- New! Some of my frequent workshop participants know that for the past several years, I’ve shot Leica digital rangefinder cameras for much of my personal (and some of my editorial assignment) work. I’ve recently developed a half-day “Rangefinder 101” hands-on location workshop for the One-on-One format (say “101 One-on-One” three times fast!). If you have purchased a new Leica rangefinder and want to get on the fast-track to mastering it, or if you have inherited a vintage one and aren’t sure where to start, let’s talk!
I’m pleased to offer customized, individual workshops for photography enthusiasts ranging from beginner to advanced. Leveraging my decades of professional photography experience combined with past experience teaching at the college level, I’m confident I can help you to expand your understanding and skill within many genres of photography.
My work has spanned portraiture, editorial, event/PR, and commercial/advertising. I’ve also long sold fine-art nature and landscape photography on the art festival “circuit” as well as via galleries and corporate art brokers. Further, I have taught many hundreds of aspiring and advanced photographers in my own photographic workshops, and in workshops for other organizations, for many years.
My One-on-One Workshop experiences are completely customized to your photographic needs and interests. You can book me for instruction or for coaching. Interested in landscape photography but need help with basics of composition or exposure? Interested in portraiture but need help understanding or mastering off-camera lighting? Just got a new camera and can’t seem to get good photos at all? Picked up your grandpa’s old film camera and want to learn how to develop film?
Before our session, we will have a conversation to help me understand where you are with your chosen genre, or the challenge you are facing, and I will design a half- or full-day session to get you going (or to sort you out if you’re just stuck with one aspect of your craft). If my background isn’t the right fit for your interest, I’ll let you know that.
Key Focus Areas
I have particular strengths in the following photography genres and topics:
* Natural history & macro nature photography
* Studio lifestyle portraiture
* Location lifestyle portraiture
* Urban street-style lifestyle portraiture
* Event/PR – strategy/equipment/lighting
* Studio tabletop/product photography
* Developing creative vision
* Composition / image design
* Understanding/mastering exposure
* Mastering manual mode for optimal image quality
* Mastering the Leica rangefinder
I’ve put together two options assist you:
Half-Day One-on-One Workshop experience – 3 hours, $150 Base Tuition
Full-Day One-on-One Workshop experience – 8 hours, $400 Base Tuition
The Base Tuition covers instruction for the timeframe selected, and a handout of key relevant information. Additional enhancements such as location fees, admission expenses, prop rental, hiring of models, stylists, designers, are not included in the Base Tuition. These can be arranged by me, however, and added on at my cost.
The Base Tuition is per person attending. I’m happy to work with multiple attendees. Each will participate at the Base Tuition for the session. Please note that a “spouse” or “partner” who “isn’t a photographer but just wants to watch” is still considered a participant.
Finally, I am also available to lead multi-day private instructional travel workshops or photo tours, as well. Contact me for rates.
I have availability weekdays and weekends for instruction.
Initiating a Session
The best strategy to initiate a One-on-One workshop is to simply get in touch via email. We can schedule a phone call or Zoom meeting to discuss
(a) your interest
(b) my fit to help you
(c) whether a half- or full-day session is optimal, and
(d) the date and time
Once we’ve done that, the session can be booked here:
Your paid registration reserves the time on my calendar.